Change:  Move to:

16.04.1910 at 15:00 Top Field

Attendance :

Hitchin Town

0 - 3

St Albans City

Referee : Mr.A.G.Arkell(Stoke Newington) Herts County League / Divisional Final Play Off

None Billy Hughes
Webb Richardson
Tommy Knott
Opening squads
Charles Patrick
Jack Richardson
George Price
Jack Squires
Webb Richardson
Frank Hughes
Billy Hughes
Tommy Knott
Tommy Walker
George Webb
Herbert Smith
None None.
Yellow cards
None None.
Red cards
None None.
Match report
The official result of the match on Saturday was a win for City by three goals to nil. As a matter of fact the City scored no fewer than five really good goals. Two of these the referee disallowed on the grounds of offside, although how offside was possible was not obvious to everyone, as on each occasion the player who scored was behind the ball or, in other words, received a brick pass. Not that Mr.Arkell’s refereeing was at all bad for these two rulings were, curiously enough, the only decisions during the whole game which could be really disputed. Happily, they did not effect the final result.
The occasion was the first of the series of County League Divisional Finals, the home team and the visitors being champions of the Northern and Western Divisions of the League respectively.
The game went to emphasise the disparity between the football in West Herts and that in North Herts, the City being practically the only eleven in the picture after the first twenty minutes. The score by no means represented their superiority.
Owing to the injury to Anderson, J.Richardson appeared at right-half in the visiting team and Webb Richardson came in at outside-right owing to Hosier’s loss of form, which it is hoped is only temporary.

Reprinted from “The Herts Advertiser and St Albans Times” 23rd April 1910.
Cookie Policy

This website uses cookies that are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the privacy policy. By accepting this OR scrolling this page OR continuing to browse, you agree to our privacy policy.