Change:  Move to:

20.09.2011 at 15:00 Broadwater

Attendance : 306


0 - 3

St Albans City

Referee : Mark Tweed (Kilburn) FA Cup / First Round Qualifying (Replay)

None Rob Haworth (22)
Ryan Moran (49)
Jerome Walker (64)
Opening squads
Eddie Farmer
Jamie Gavin
Lewis Rodrigoe
Jordan Toomey
Simon Carmichael
Mark Welling
Russell Clark
Adam Mead
Tony Burnett
Matt Wardle
Aaron Usmani
Nick Jupp
Nathnael Ralph
Barrie Matthews
Ryan Watts
Ryan Moran
Tobi Jinadu
Sean Shields
David Ijaha
Jerome Walker
Rob Haworth
Nathan Haisley
Ashley Harewood-Williams
Micky O\'Farrell
Joshua Chamberlain
Joe Gallagher
Freddie Hester
Ed Gerard
Steve Boad
Will Viner
Matt Cutchey
Marvin Alebiosu
Sakho Bakare
Joackim Ehui
James Bent
Rob Magwood
Joe Gallagher -> Aaron Usmani (43)
Joshua Chamberlain -> Russell Clark (61)
Micky O\'Farrell -> Jamie Gavin (61)
Sakho Bakare -> Rob Haworth (73)
Rob Magwood -> Barrie Matthews (80)
Marvin Alebiosu -> Sean Shields (84)
Yellow cards
Simon Carmichael (63)
Adam Mead (74)
Sean Shields (84)
Red cards
None None.
Match report

St Albans City banished Saturday’s debacle from the memory by removing Berkhamsted from the FA Cup with a commanding 3-0 victory at Broadwater on Tuesday that sets up a 2nd Qualifying Round tie at East Thurrock United on 1 October.

Weak and lacklustre at the weekend yet positive and dominant three days later was the contrast in City’s performance and Spartan South Midlands League side Berkhamsted knew within the opening minutes that their chance of glory was fast slipping away.

Clearly stunned by the dressing down each player received from the manager on Saturday the Saints were on top from the opening seconds and went on to dominate throughout.

At the back central defenders Ryan Moran and Tobi Jinadu never put a foot wrong – Moran even got on the scoresheet while Jinadu hit the woodwork, such was the influence of the duo at either end of the pitch.

St Albans, unlike at the weekend, even bossed the midfield with the rugged Nathan Haisley coming in to add some steel to the middle of the park.

Captain David Ijaha responded by enjoying one of his best outings and wide man Sean Shields, bitterly upset at being substituted in the first meeting, gave the perfect riposte in teeing up all three goal.

City began positively with Shields shooting wide but the first clear opening came the way of the Comrades with Jamie Gavin clipping the ball back into the goalmouth for Tony Burnett to put a soft header comfortably into keeper Nick Jupp’s arms.

Jerome Walker, recalled in place of Sakho Bakare and a problem throughout with his swift acceleration, squandered a good chance when dragging his shot across the face of the goal after Haworth had challenged for a long Jupp free kick.

St Albans’ impressive start was maintained as Jinadu tested home keeper Eddie Farmer with a header from a Barrie Matthews free kick while Haworth headed wide from a corner.

Berkhamsted were experiencing countless problems in trying to contain the Saints aerial threat and Farmer did well to push another Jinadu header up onto the underside of the crossbar following a cross by the rejuvenated Ijaha.

But while the game remained goalless then Mick Vipond’s side was far from out of the reckoning and a fierce drive by Adam Mead required two attempts by Jupp to smother the ball before Tony Burnett could close in.

It was, however, of little surprise when City finally dented Berkhamsted’s dogged resistance with the opening goal on 22 minutes.

Shields lifted a free kick towards the edge of the six-yard box where Haworth powered his way between central defenders Jordan Toomey and Simon Carmichael to beat Farmer with a perfect downward header for his first FA Cup goal for the club in 13 years.

Berkhamsted were now in serious trouble and both Walker and Haworth went close to quickly increasing the lead.

The half ended with St Albans, two Divisions above their hosts in the non-league pyramid, in complete control but it was not until the second goal, on 49 minutes, that the game was put out of Berko’s reach.

Walker won a free kick on the edge of the penalty area when brought down by Carmichael and from Shields flighted right-footed dead ball cross Moran sent a thumping header to the left of the static Farmer for his second FA Cup goal for the Saints and first in nine years.

Farmer excelled to palm away another Moran header before the City goal came under a rare threat only for Burnett to scuff his shot across the face of the goal.

As light turn rain turned to something more sinister City became encamped in the Berkhamsted half and in front of the largest crowd seen at Broadwater since the Comrades were formed two years ago the Saints added a third goal on 64 minutes.

Again Shields, only in the side due to Danny Hart pulling out following the death of his uncle on Monday, played a leading role in the build up.

From close to the touchline down the City left the one-time Tottenham Hotspur youngster curled an in-swinging right-footed free kick towards the back post where the alert Walker hammered a close range left-footed shot under the diving Farmer.

City looked rampant following this goal and Farmer did well to palm away a perfectly placed free kick by Shields just as the ball appeared to be sneaking under the crossbar.

The ball seldom left the Berkhamsted half during the remaining minutes although a good break by the impressive Burnett ended only after the striker’s cross-shot clipped the bar of Jupp’s goal.

City could maybe have increased their tally in the soggy conditions but as manager David Howell made clear after the game he just wanted to progress to the next Round be it by one goal or even penalties, so three-nil was more than sufficient to save the players from another one-by-one grilling in the manager’s office.
Cookie Policy

This website uses cookies that are necessary to its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in the privacy policy. By accepting this OR scrolling this page OR continuing to browse, you agree to our privacy policy.